Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Changing Media Landscape

Over the past six years we have seen a major shift in the way we access information, share that information and communicate with others. With the launch of new media sites/ social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook we're able to share information as it happens. The shift from print to digital has had huge impact on newspaper industry. It's sad to say but my generation may have been the last generation to grow up with our parents reading the daily paper. Now I check my local paper's website and receive RSS feeds for content that I'm interested in. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy reading the Sunday paper but now I'm able to access faster online. Why would someone pay for content when they can access it for free? This has been mindset of my generation. We have access to free content from blogs and sharing sites. We're able to find what we want online for free. More importantly we access things when we want it and how we want it. We access content from our laptops and mobile devices on the go. It's a double edge sword for the newspaper industry because while the circulation numbers have decreased for many papers, online viewership is at an all time high. I believe this changing landscape has helped our society to become more informed on daily issues as well as provided us with new platforms to communicate with others. So for me, this changing landscape is for the better. It has provided us with more opportunities to interact with our investors, customers, other businesses and media.

The following video titled "Did You Know 4.0" takes a deeper look at this shift in media.

2 comments: